Saturday, August 13, 2011

Two 90 point wines under $20 in BC - both from Chile's Concha Y Toro

You have to love Concha Y Toro wines - two 90 point wines - one Cabernet Sauvignon and one Chardonnay - both under $20!

And I do - one of my regular favourites - the 2008 Concha Y Toro Puente Alto Marques de Casa Concha Cabernet Sauvignon - has recently been joined by the 2009 Concha Y Toro Limari Valley Marques de Casa Concha Chardonnay - Limari Valley - as a 90 pointer from the Wine Spectator magazine.

The Cabernet is huge - and a fantastic value wine year after year, a perennial 90 point winner.  Blackberry, fig, raspberry, cherry, cocoa - everything you want in a cab and usually can't find for less that $40!  I suspect it will age well but don't wait - it's drinking well right now and would be hard to put away in the cellar.

The Chardonnay is conversely lean and restrained - but delicious and what the Spectator calls "superfresh" with tangerine and apple notes. The winery alternatively suggests pear, fig and hazelnut.  I'll take any of the above.

Both retail in BC Liquor Stores for $19.99 and are quite available - 826 bottles of Cabernet across the province and 548 bottles of Chardonnay around BC.  Both are also available for $19.95 in Ontario Liquor Stores.

Their baby siblings are also worth trying for a lower dollar - Concha Y Toro Casillero del Diablo - cellar of the devil - Cabernet and Chardonnay - for just $13.99 each - a reliable wine but just don't compare the two levels.

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Gorge Bridge Hello Mr. Tieliman. I have been lead to this site by William, Sir. I do thank him and obeyed his wishes. After I drink that case of Crown Royal I brought yesterday.I will than become a wine Outlaw. PS I continue to research How to start a Fan Club.PPS there is a gas buddy where is the Wine Buddy?

Bill Tieleman said...

Wine drinking friends - there is still Casa Concha 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon in Vancouver - just bought some at 19th and Dunbar for instance.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Barbarian. Where do I start this letter of thank yous.Did you say at the beginning? Is there a beginning I prefer to jump to the end. Saves time and energy.so here goes. I finished the case of Crown Royal and went to the Gorge Road Jar Store. At the cash register, I stated this bottle was recommended by the Wine Barbarian. The good looking middle aged, top heavy cashier than stated it free.The end of my story is that I she wanted to help me drink it at her condo in Oak Bay.She let me drive her Jaguar. I was lead to a stray. The lesson is that women are winos.Now. I want and demand more recommendations on wine.Buy the way my initials are BS and I now drive Jaguar.

Ken in Victoria said...

Well, here it is well fair Wednesday. I need the advice of the Wine Barbarian, However, it appears he or she is too busy to continue acting as the Dear Abby for Wine. Therefore my question will be short and to the point. Discussions with my 96 year old mother and a 87 year old young Jewish lady asked the following question. What is the cheapish brand of wine in the GOvt Jar Store. Note, private jar stores are an insult to citizens of BC. How many donation to the liberal party were made to allow such retailers to ruin the industry for selling adult beverages. The LCB union were clever enough to compromise order to protect their members from the attack by liberals. Thank goodness for their stand. My question remain as to the price of cheap wine as asked by a Jewish lady.Thank you, Hair Barbarian as always I remain a follower.